Monday, January 29, 2007

#160 - How to Effect Miraculous Healing in Children - UPDATED

Jelly slept on the couch last night. She's been fighting nasty allergies since Saturday, and began running a fever around about bed time last night. So we let her sleep on the couch. This way she can be relatively close to Mommy and Daddy without actually invading Mom and Dad's turf.

I was actually up until nearly dawn myself because I'm under another nasty deadline. I'm always under some nasty deadline or other; a condition exacerbated by the fact that my team of five programmers has over the past 18 months been whittled down to two. The other programmer is just as busy as I am and she's about to go on a short medical leave next month. If that works she'll be out on maternity leave by the end of the year. Whee.

So I watched my daughter sleeping restlessly while her fevers broke, returned, and broke again. Finally she appeared to be winning her battle. I had my own victory in the form of a delivery to my customer at around 4:00 this morning, so I went in to bed.

Jelly has all the earmarks of allergies turned to flu or cold. She's been listless all day, dozing on and off on the same couch and grimacing appropriately whenever Daddy presents her with the nasty orange-flavored (loosely speaking) medicine. She has also been upset because our plan was to take the girls to Toys-R-Us tonight and let them cash in their Christmas gift cards from Grandma and Grandpa Z.

After Jelly's somewhat longer afternoon nap, I decided she was probably feeling enough better that a little motivation might be in order. Mommy led off. "Well, Daddy, what do you think?"

"Oh, I think we probably ought to go."

Like a shot, Jelly catapulted from her sick bed and began dancing around the house. She bounded into her clothes, threw on some socks and shoes, and wondered why, oh why was no one ready to leave?? Like, NOW?? The rest of us grumbled about needing potty time and (for Mommy and Daddy) a chance to stretch our stiffened musculature.

It's by no means a complete victory. Jelly is still pretty shnuffly. She's just much happier right now.

The miracle of modern medicine.

UPDATE: Mrs. Woody reminded me that the story is not entirely accurate; or, at least, that I left out one critical element of the story. Jelly did not obtain what she was looking for last night. We went to Toys-R-Us, then Target (right next door), then ultimately had to order the item online. I'll be stopping by the Walton Family Empire on my way home from work today to see if they have one.

The point is, she remained bubbly - if somewhat disappointed - for the remainder of the evening. Especially when Doodle let her big sister help play with her new toys.

My kids are terrific.

No comments: